Monday, July 13, 2009

First blog ever ... how does this thing work?

Well, if you're reading this right now, it means that you got through my super long email and are still interested in cheering me on as I train to run the ING NYC Marathon 2009 - yay! I can't tell you how much your support means to me - every little bit will help me cross the finish line on November 1st, and it is all in honor of three amazing people - Grandma Sharon, Grandpa Dennis, and Pop - and a fantastic charity, Team Continuum.

I'm going to use this blog to keep you all updated on how my training is going. I just got one of those nifty Garmin GPS training watches, and once I figure out how to use it properly, I'll be able to upload all the stats you could ever want to know about my training runs - including maps of where I'm running. For now though, what I can tell you is that I've just completed the first week of my 16 week training program.

I've already encountered my first injury - a little tendinitis on the outside of my right foot. I thought it might have been a stress fracture (from walking the 39 mile Avon Walk for Breast Cancer two weeks ago with my mom, and then running too quickly afterwards ...) but my doctor gave me the all clear to run on it, so with fingers crossed (and lots of ice and ibuprofen), I'm going to keep on keepin' on!

In the next day or so, I'll write more about what my training program entails, and hopefully I'll have links to the training runs I did last week. He doesn't know it yet, but my husband Jed will be helping me figure all this technical stuff out :)

So again, thank you SO much for your support! If you haven't already done so, please check out my fundraising page at http://www.teamcontinuum.net/athlete_page.asp?eid=111&uid=85471. You'll notice that I've asked you to share with me the name(s) of people you know who have fought (or are fighting) a battle with cancer so that I can honor them as I run the NYC Marathon on November 1st. If you are comfortable sharing those names with me, please feel free to post them in comments on this blog, or email them to me at kstevens10@law.du.edu. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment